Advertising

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Judging a book by it's cover

If you have read any of my previous posts then you are well aware of my obsession with Pinterest. Another hobby (obsession) i have is reading. I love, love, love to read! It has been a passion of mine ever since elementary school, where book fairs were the highlight of my life and i was constantly begging my mom for the latest and greatest new book in the monthly book order. It is such a passion that when i find a good read, i can NOT put it down; which was the motivation behind my one rule. NO reading for pleasure allowed during the school year. If i let myself read for pleasure during the school year, i would not open a single text book. This being said, since i am currently taking summer courses, and well it IS summer, i have decided to let myself break this one rule. While i was in Mexico for almost 2 months, i managed to read 5 books that included: The Lovely Bones, Can you keep a secret?, Baby Proof, The Hunger Games, and The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.  



Although it was a little dark and twisted, i LOVED The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I found myself completely immersed into the story (which FYI, was originally from Sweden and is translated to English) and it was a heaven sent for my plane ride back to Canada. The 4 hour flight from Cancun to Toronto passed by in the blink of an eye and i was barely able to put it down. I am SO anxious to read the second book, The Girl who Played with Fire. Oh and to also see the movie! 2nd rule of mine: always, always read the book before the movie. Book is usually better, more detailed and you have creative liberty to come up with your own conclusions, ideas about characters etc.  

What am i reading now? Well, i just picked up "The Wealthy Barber Returns", which is a Canadian business book about personal finance. A professor of mine recommended it for a business class i'm taking this summer. I just started it, but for being a personal finance book it seems surprisingly entertaining. The author has a charming comedic air to him, as you can see in this interview. 


I also picked up some light reading, in the form of "50 shades of grey". Ive heard many controversial things about this book, but the consistent theme is that anyone who reads it, loves it! Apparently it really pushes the envelope of what is appropriate and PG, and is targeted towards thirty something stay at home moms, we shall see! Wish me luck! What are you reading these days? 

No comments:

Post a Comment