Advertising

Sunday, October 21, 2012

Breaking out of your comfort zone, slowly but surely

As devoted as I am to fashion, and as appreciative as I am to street styles on other people, I tend to find myself in a rut. A fashionable rut, but a rut nonetheless. My problem isn't that I don't buy new things (I do a lot of that), my problem is my colour palette. I tend to stick to the same tried and true colours. When I like a colour, I will quite literally wear it out. I like pinks, beiges, whites and the like, but I need to open up my mind (and closet) and realize that there ARE other colours out there as well.

I took a step in the right direction yesterday when I stopped by the local Dynamite at Place d'Orleans and bought a ridiculously well priced electric blue dress. I believe the key to testing out new colours, or pushing your boundaries in any way, lies in doing it gradually. If you have the same problem that I have, I would not recommend buying a highlighter yellow dress in a new trendy style that you have never worn before. Just dip your feet in the water, don't drown just! Try a new colour in a classic shape, so its not so overwhelming and you can gradually start incorporating new colours into your wardrobe.  Get used to the idea of colour in shapes that you know work for your body, and then you can move up to more edgy things.

This dress is a classic sheath shape, but modernized with cut out details at the waist and of course, the colour. It was a steal at only 25$ and the perfect choice for the Shopify party last night.






The necklace is also from Dynamite and new earrings from Aldo

With fellow fashion blogger  Kate Forrest


Also in the spirit of embracing new ideas, I tried out this hair bow that I had seen on my addiction, Pinterest. Didn't quite turn out like the picture on Pinterest, but hey I tried and that's the most important part!



I encourage you all to take a small step forward and embrace a new colour, pattern, texture or style that you haven't yet dared to wear. I know if I can do it, you can too!

What are your thoughts? What have you been too scared to try?




No comments:

Post a Comment