Advertising

Thursday, December 27, 2012

Designer profile: Vero Diaz

A lot has happened in the last few days. Christmas, Christmas Eve, posadas and parties, to name just a few. Among all the festivities, I somehow managed to find some time to sit down and interview Vero Diaz, a local Yucateca designer. The interview is for an upcoming project that I can't share just yet, but I thought I'd give you all a sneak peak into this Mexican designer's collection, store and life.

Vero has had fashion running through her veins since she was just a little girl and started designing her friends dresses for their infamous quinceaƱera parties. (Quinceanera is a latin girl's fifteenth birthday, similiar to the western sweet 16 idea, but much, much larger and more fabulous) 

From there, its been a steady upward road to success for Vero. Her pieces have moved from her garage to her very own boutique, have been featured in various magazines throughout the country and she even won 3rd place in Elle Mexico's design contest in 2012 (and will be back with a bang this year)

To be perfectly honest I was pretty nervous about this interview, with the language barrier and all. My Spanish is far from perfect, and I had no idea what Vero's  level of English was like, but she immediately put me at ease when she complimented me on how good my Spanish was, and flawlessly jumped between English and Spanish without missing a beat. 

2 hours, many photos and 4 pages of notes in Spanglish later, our interview came to a close. I can't wait to share with you all the rest of the interview, but in the meantime here are a few pictures to tide you over. 



THE dress from the Elle Mexico competition 

Overall, Vero was much more down to earth, modest and ambitious than I ever expected. Since she is such a modern gal you can find her on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

The next Yucateca designers I will be featuring are the fabulous jewelery of Bicha & Lola! Stay tuned for necklaces, bracelets and rings all handmade out of silver that are to die for!

No comments:

Post a Comment